body

Some very peculier Cake's......



Found myself wondering round the drinks aisle of the supermarket this week, looking for a beer to make a Chocolate Stout cake for my dad's birthday.  I had planned to use some of my dad's own, craft brewed Real Ale but the next batch wouldn't be ready in time. 

I used to be a member of the Campaign for Real Ale along with my dad, however I had to give it up as Alcohol is one of my IBS triggers.  I may not be able to drink anymore, but I still know the best Ales for Cooking and Baking.  My father and I share a warped sense of humour so using Theakston Old Peculier
appealed to me straight away.  It's a Rich Dark Ale much better than an ordinary  generic stout. 

The best thing about this recipe is that's it's also dairy free.  I also made it egg free (Oops forgot to buy eggs)

A very Peculier Chocolate Cake

1 1/2 Cups     Flour
1/2 Cup         Caster Sugar
1/2 Cup         Cocoa Powder
2 tsp.             Baking Powder
1/2 Cup         Vegetable Oil
1 tsp.              Vanilla extract
1 tbsp.            Cider Vinegar
250 ml           Theakston's Old Peculier ( Or your favourite dark ale)

1 Egg Substitute. ( I used 1 tbsp Soya Flour mixed with 3 tbsp. Water. )

Pre-heat your oven too 180 Celsius, and grease or line a cake tin

This is a really simple recipe, Measure out your flour and baking powder into a bowl.

Mix the rest of your  ingredients in a jug - Egg Sub, Veg oil, vanilla, cider vinegar, Sugar, cocoa powder and finally the Dark ale.  Then combine with the flour in the bowl.

Mix well for 1-2 Min's then pour into your cake tin. 

Bake in your oven for 20 - 25 Min's. Don't check before 20 Min's, as since this is an egg free cake it may sink in the middle if the oven is opened to soon.  Use a toothpick to check that the cake is baked.

Leave in tin for 10 Min's then move to a tea towel covered wire rack.  The tea towel will stop the rack wires leaving marks in your cake.

This Cake smells amazing when it bakes in the oven, chocolate pairs so well with the chocolaty malty taste of a Dark Real Ale. 

I wish I'd taking a photo, but Iv already wrapped it in greaseproof paper and stored in my freezer.  Dad has still to decide between Chocolate beer ganache or Beer butter cream  for topping his cake xxxx



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding